Child Tax Credit Contact Number

If you’re looking to enquire about Child Tax credit, the best way to speak to someone is over the phone. By speaking to one of the telephone staff you can inform HMRC of changes to your circumstances, or even request a claim form to be posted to you. The team also fields general calls in case you have a general enquiry that you can’t find on their website. There is always someone trained to help on the other end of the phone. The Child Tax Credit phone number is open Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Saturday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and Sunday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Child Tax Credit Phone Number:

*Calls to 0844 numbers cost 7p/min + your phone company’s access charge. This is a call connection service, the official phone numbers can be found in the public domain at no cost or on the official website. We are not affiliated or associated with any of the government agencies or companies listed on the site, trademarks are property of their respective owners.

The specialist Child Tax credit team at HMRC are trained to deal with all of your enquiries. The wider HRMC agency receive over 60 million telephone calls each year from the general public, and are trained to know the answer to the most frequently asked questions.

What is Child Tax Credit and Who is Eligible?

Child Tax credits are a form of financial assistance given to families of children under the age of 16 who are on a low income. You may also be eligible for Child Tax credit if you are the parent or guardian of a child under the age of 20 and they are in education full-time or on some sort of training course.

This includes any children that are currently studying at a sixth-form college or further education institution in the United Kingdom.

How much can I claim in Child Tax credit?

The amount that you will be able to claim in Child Tax credit will depend on a number of different circumstances. These ‘elements’ consist of your annual income, the number of children in your household, and whether or not the child has any disabilities.

If you have an annual household income lower than the ‘income threshold’ then you will receive the maximum credit for each of these parts. £16,105 per year is the current income threshold. The highest amount of Child Tax credit you can earn is £7,195 per child.

Any annual income over and above the income threshold will lower the amount of credit you can claim from the Tax Credit office. If you are unsure then call the Child Tax Credit number and one of the representatives will be able to help you determine if you qualify.

Am I eligible to receive tax credits?

There are some key questions you can ask yourself to see if you are eligible for any form of Child Tax credits.

Do you normally live in the United Kingdom?
Are you 16 years of age or older?
Do you have any children under the age of 16 who normally live with you?
Did you earn less than £26,100 between the 6th of April 2015 and the 5th of April 2015?

If the answer to all of the questions above is YES, then you are probably entitled to Child Tax credit. Call the Tax Credit telephone number above to request a form so you can apply, or you can also check by completing an online calculation on the Tax Credit website.

In order for you to get the most accurate result from the calculator, it’s best to have with you any relevant documents that you may need for the calculations. This may include latest wageslips, P60s which show your annual earnings for the year before and after tax, and information on any benefits or credits that you are already receiving.

Do I earn too much for Child Tax credits?

If your own circumstances, or those of you and your partner, mean that your annual income is over a certain amount, then it could be that you are not eligible to receive any form of Child Tax credit.

If you have one child and have childcare costs, then the upper household income limit is £40,000 per year. If you have two children with childcare costs, the maximum amount you can earn is £55,000 per year. If you have three children with childcare costs, the most money your household can earn in a year is £65,000.

If you do not have any childcare costs, then the annual household income threshold falls to £25,000 if you have one child. If you have two children and no childcare costs, the income limit is £35,000. If you have three children then this falls agains to £40,000 per year.

For thresholds for more children, you will need to call the number above to contact Child Tax credits office.

How do I renew my Tax Credits?

If you want to carry on receiving Child Tax credits every year, you need to make sure you keep your details up to date with the Tax Credit office. The Tax Credit office will write to you each year to confirm, or you can call them on the number above to make sure that you keep receiving your allowance.

It is extremely important that you keep the Tax Credit office up to date on your circumstances. This is because if your income falls below a certain threshold, then you may be entitled to claim more Child Tax credits. Alternatively, if your income grows and you don’t let the Tax Credit office know, then you could be receiving too much Child Tax credit and you could be asked to pay back any money received the next time you update your details.

To update the Tax Credit office, you can call the number above to let them know, or to request a Child Tax credit renewal form.

What do I need to know about Child Tax credit?

Child Tax credit is one of a number of benefits that is being replaced by the government. It is being changed to Universal Credit. If you are currently receiving Child Tax credit, you won’t need to do anything at the moment, but soon this will be changed to Universal Credit.

You may be switched early to Universal Credit if you move in with someone that is already claiming Universal Credit, or if you live in a place that is already enrolled in Universal Credit and you subsequently become unemployed.

To find out a bit more about Universal Credit, then give the Tax Credit office a call on the number at the top of the page.

Further contact details

Postal address:
For tax credit renewal forms:

HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office
Comben House
Farriers Way
L75 1AX
United Kingdom

Complaints or change of circumstances:

You don’t need to include a street name or PO box.

HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office
United Kingdom

New tax credit claims:

You don’t need to include a street name or PO box.

HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office
L75 1AZ
United Kingdom
Currently there is no email address for Child Tax Credit enquiries.

If you’re concerned about contact you’ve had from Concentrix or disagree with a decision made following a Concentrix check, you can contact:

Concentrix on behalf of HM Revenue and Customs
PO Box 4949
BN11 9YS