Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency DVLA Contact Number

If you’ve ever driven a car in the UK, then the chances are that you have had some sort of dealing with the DVLA. Looking after almost every motoring related license in the United Kingdom, you can contact DVLA using the helpline telephone number below. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency phone number is open Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM, and Saturday 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

DVLA Phone Number:

*Calls to 0844 numbers cost 7p/min + your phone company’s access charge. This is a call connection service, the official phone numbers can be found in the public domain at no cost or on the official website. We are not affiliated or associated with any of the government agencies or companies listed on the site, trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Who is the DVLA?

The Driver Vehicle and Licensing Agency is one of the busiest agencies in the UK, and is responsible for basically every aspect of motoring licenses in the country. Luckily, such a big agency has an efficient telephone helpline system. If you need to speak to the DVLA customer service for any reason, call them on the general enquiries number above and they will connect you to the right department.

The DVLA is accountable for almost 50 million driver records and almost 40 million vehicle records, so the helpline does get busy. So at times of high call volume, keep trying.

The DVLA contact number is open every day except Sundays. On Monday through Friday, the helpline is open between 8am and 7pm, whilst on Saturday they run a reduced service of between 8am and 2pm. The busiest peak times are usually during lunch hours, so make sure you get your calls in early if you’re looking to avoid having to wait to speak to an adviser.

Why would I need to contact the DVLA Customer Service?

There are a whole host of reasons that you might need to get in touch with the Driver Vehicle and Licensing Agency. The DVLA are the people you need to speak to about taxing your vehicle, or if you choose to declare your vehicle as ‘off-road’ and not pay tax then you will need to obtain a SORN from the DVLA. This is a Statutory Off-Road Notification which will exempt you from paying road tax and needing to have insurance for your vehicle.

You are also able to speak to the DVLA helpline about the status of your MOT certificate. Whether you need to check whether your vehicle is still road-worthy, or apply for replacement MOT paperwork, then the DVLA is the agency for you to call. In recent years they have also introduced an online driving license generator. This will let you generate a paper copy of your driving licence on demand so that you can use this when hiring a vehicle, or for any other form of identification.

The DVLA looks after all forms of driving tests in the UK, and are responsible for all practical and theory tests across all vehicle classes.

You are also able to call the DVLA number to obtain a replacement V5C vehicle registration certificate for your vehicle. This is commonly referred to as a ‘log book’ and is vital if you are selling your car, part-exchanging your car or updating the registered keepers’ details.

And if you are required to attend a Driver Safety course, or if you’ve been awarded some penalty points on your driving licence, then it’s the DVLA who administer all of the changes to your driving license and keep your records up to date.

The transformation of the DVLA

The DVLA has in recent years been moving more away from the traditional methods of paperwork and forms – now you can interact with the DVLA online. From downloading the correct form to generating a temporary driving licence, the contact centre team are trained in helping you find the correct form online.

You are also able to make changes to your driving license online. This means you can update your personal address details, forename or surname if you get married, or apply for a full licence after passing your driving test.

Abolishment of Paper Counterpart

With effect from the 8th June 2015, the DVLA has scrapped the traditional paper counterpart of a driving license, in a move that is said to going save the taxpayer millions of pounds each year. If you are currently in possession of a paper counterpart that was issued before 1998 then you need to keep hold of it.

If, however, your counterpart was issued after 1998, then you must destroy it and use the online tool to generate a paper counterpart when necessary.

Last year the DVLA replaced almost half a million paper counterparts.

Vehicle hire

The changes to the paper counterpart section of your driving license has had huge benefits to vehicle hire companies, and those that lease cars. Rather than request to see a potentially out of date piece of paper that the customer may not be able to find, now the hirers can request a unique online code so that they can log in to the DVLA’s website and view your current information.

This can include number of penalty points on your license, license validity period, whether you’ve ever been banned from driving and which class of vehicle you are able to legally drive. It will also act as a form of ID, as only the holder of the driving license will be able to generate the unique code.

Sometimes the vehicle hire company may just ask for a printed copy of the online document. In this case, you need to go to the website and log in to your online account. There you will be prompted to ‘share’ your driving license and you will be able to print a copy. There may be some security questions involved so make sure you have a copy of your personal details to hand.

Reaching the DVLA by post

As with all organisations, there are some enquiries and challenges that the DVLA won’t be able to resolve over the phone. As a result, you will need to send a completed form, which you can request using the DVLA phone number at the top of the page, to one of the following addresses.

For all enquiries relating to your Driving Licence


For all enquiries relating to your Tax and Registration


For all Drivers Medical Enquiries


Or for the general enquiries