Income Support Contact Number

For queries relating to your Income Support, including whether or not you are eligible to receive it and how much you should get, you should call the Income Support helpline on the contact number below. The Income Support phone number is open Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

Income Support Phone Number:

*Calls to 0844 numbers cost 7p/min + your phone company’s access charge. This is a call connection service, the official phone numbers can be found in the public domain at no cost or on the official website. We are not affiliated or associated with any of the government agencies or companies listed on the site, trademarks are property of their respective owners.

What is Income Support

Income Support is a financial benefit paid to those on low income or people that don’t have a job.

If you or your significant other have a low income or are both not working then you could be eligible for the Support, however there are strict criteria to meet. Any amount you may receive is based on your personal circumstances, so it is important to call the Income Support number, their team and let them know your individual circumstances.

Do I Qualify for Income Support

To qualify for Income Support, you must be working less than 16 hours a week, and must not have signed on as unemployed with Jobcentre Plus.

You must also be over the age of 16 and under the State Pension age. You may be either pregnant, a carer, or a single parent with a child under the age of 5. You could also be unable to work due to sickness or disability.

It can also help those in full-time education (with the exception of university) if you have a child, you’re a refugee learning the English language, or if you do not have a parent/guardian living with you.

You could also be eligible if you do not have a fixed address. If you’re homeless or living in a care home or hostel, you can still claim!

How Can I Become Disqualified?

However, you should keep in mind how important it is to contact Income Support department about any changes to your circumstances. If you fail to declare any changes to your position, then you could receive more than you are entitled to. You may then either be asked to pay these amounts back, or you could even be prosecuted for benefit fraud.

It’s important, when you call the helpline to update your circumstances, that you have information available such as your new address, the date you began working or any change to your job. You may also need to have to hand the amount of any savings you have, and information on the number of people that live with you.

You must also make sure you have your National Insurance number ahead of calling.

Difference between Jobseeker’s Allowance and Income Support

The difference between JSA and Income Support is that you do not need to be looking for work to be claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance.

While Jobseeker’s Allowance requires you to make fortnightly appointments at Jobcentre Plus to prove you are still looking for work, it is usually paid to single parents and those on a low income.

If you are a couple then you will usually both claim Jobseeker’s Allowance instead of Income Support, as one parent is usually in a position to be able to work.

How much will I receive in Income Support?

The level of financial assistance from the government depends on a number of different factors, including your marital status as well as employment status and income. How much savings you have will also affect how much Support you can claim.

For individuals between the ages of 16 and 24, you can claim a weekly amount of £57.90, depending on circumstances. If you’re 25 years old or over, this increases to £73.10 per week.

Lone parents between the ages of 16 and 17 will receive £57.90 in Income Support. This will increase to £73.10 if you’re over the age of 18.

The amount for couples will vary between £57.90 and £114.85 depending on your circumstances. It’s best to call the contact centre to find out a bit more about what you are entitled to.

You could be entitled to extra support if you’re a carer, if you’re disabled, or if your partner is of State Pension age.

A more advanced rate of benefit is available for couples who would individually qualify for either Jobseeker’s Allowance or Income Support.

You will receive Income Support, like Jobseeker’s Allowance, every 2 weeks. It can be paid directly into the bank account of your choice or building society.

Claiming Income Support

If you’re looking to apply for Income Support, then you will need to call the helpline. You are able to claim on behalf of you and your partner, so when you are calling it may be useful to have the following information to hand.

– Details of your income
– The amount of any income your partner has
– Your address
– Anyone that lives at your address

It’s worth noting that even if you are currently claiming Child Tax Credit, you will also be eligible for Income Support if you have kids.

However, you are not eligible to claim Income Support if you’re in receipt of the new government Universal Credit. Universal Credit is a new form of benefits that is being phased in to replace the previous structure.

You may be moved on to Universal Credit if you move in with a partner who is already receiving Universal Credit, or if your main area of residence opts in to the scheme.

There are online calculators available if you need any help calculating how much financial assistance you may be entitled to. Or alternatively you can give the friendly team a call on the helpline number above.

You should be aware that as of October 2008, the company claims that were based on sickness or disability are referred to the Employment and Support Allowance.

If you are approaching retirement age and are female, you may be able to replace your Income Support payments with the national Pension Credit. Contact the Income Support helpline for more guidance.

Appeals to Income Support claims

If for any reason your application to receive Income Support, either for yourself or for your partner, is declined, it is not the end of the road. You are also able to appeal the decision to the Social Security Appeal Tribunal, and they will look into your case for you.