Working Tax Credit Contact Number

If you’re looking for some more information about Working Tax credits, the best thing you can do is to call the Working Tax Credits telephone number below. The Working Tax Credit phone number is open Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Saturday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and Sunday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Working Tax Credit Phone Number:

*Calls to 0844 numbers cost 7p/min + your phone company’s access charge. This is a call connection service, the official phone numbers can be found in the public domain at no cost or on the official website. We are not affiliated or associated with any of the government agencies or companies listed on the site, trademarks are property of their respective owners.

The contact number above will let you update the Tax Credit team on any changes to your circumstances. You will also be able to request a form that will help you start receiving Working Tax credits.

The team also helps answer general enquiries, and with the wider team handling over 60 million calls a year from the British public, they are specially qualified to answer the most frequently asked questions.

What is Working Tax credit and who is eligible?

Working Tax credits are designed to provide a little extra financial backing to those who are on a low income. They also exists to help those who have a disability, or those that have children.

If you’re aged between 16 and 24, and you have a child or a disability, then it is likely that you’ll be able to claim credit.

If you are 25 years old or over, and you work a minimum number of hours in a week, then you may also be eligible to receive the credit.

If you are between the age of 25 and 59, and you work 30 hours minimum in a week, then you may be entitled to claim. If you are aged 60 or over, have a disability, or single with one or more children, then you need to work at least 16 hours in a week.

There are no obvious income limits for Working Tax credits, however it is worth having to hand any relevant documents such as payslips, P60 documents and those of your partner when you call the helpline telephone number above.

If you already receive Universal Credit, you won’t be able to claim Working Tax credit.

Common Working Tax Credit Customer Service Questions

How much will I receive?

If you are eligible to receive credits, then you will receive a standard amount of £1,960 each year. There are extra amounts available on top of this if you meet any of the extra criteria. This could mean having a disability, having a child or working a minimum of 30 hours a week.

If you pay for childcare for your children, and you work 16 hours or more a week, you may be entitled to extra credit. This can be help with up to 70% of the costs of childcare. If you have a partner, then you will need to both be working at least 16 hours a week each.

You will also be expected to use only approved childminders and nurseries.

Working Tax credit is paid directly into your chosen bank account, usually every four weeks. You can choose either yourself or your partners account if you are receiving the financial assistance.

You will be paid up until the end of the Tax Year, where you must ensure that your details are up to date.

What if I have a job but I’m not working?

Even though you have a job, there may be periods where you are not working, but will still be entitled to claim Working Tax credits.

For example, if you’re off sick for a period, you would still be able to claim credits for the initial 28 weeks of your sickness.

The same is true for maternity leave. This will allow you to receive assistance for the first 39 weeks of your time off of work.

There are a number of qualifying criteria you will need to meet. This will include a minimum number of hours worked, along with a statutory Sick Pay if you were off work through illness.

Am I eligible for Working Tax Credit?

If you are over 16 years of age, earn under a certain amount of money and work over a certain number of hours, you could be eligible for Working Tax Credit.

There are some exceptions to the rule, for example, if you are a volunteer, you cannot use your unpaid volunteering hours to apply for Working Tax Credit.

Furthermore, applicants between 16 and 24 must have a disability or a child to be able to apply for Working Tax Credit.

Can I get Working Tax Credit on top of my other benefits?

Possibly. Some government funded benefits are incompatible with Working Tax Credit whereas others can be received at the same time.

In general, individuals receiving Pension Credit or Universal Credit will not be able to receive Working Tax Credit on top of these benefits.

Furthermore, in some cases, applicants may be ineligible for Credit if their partner is in receipt of certain benefits. If you require further assistance call the Working Tax Credits phone number on this page.

Can self-employed individuals apply for Working Tax Credit?

Yes. If you are a self-employed individual aiming to make a profit from your work, you can apply for Working Tax Credit.

This does not necessarily mean that you must be successfully making a profit from your self-employed work to be eligible for Working Tax Credit.

However, you may be asked to show that you have put sufficient time and effort into trying to make a profit, for example, by showing a business plan or proof of advertising.

Furthermore, you may need to provide proof of your scope of work, including records of the work you do, the profit you make (if any) and money you spend on your business.

In some cases, you may also be required to provide proof that you are following the legal guidelines that are in place for your specific business type.

What types of work can be used to apply for Working Tax Credit?

In most cases, both work as an employee and self-employed work, as well as a combination of the two, are acceptable forms of work.

However, if you have received income from certain awards, grants or the ‘Rent A Room Scheme’, this may not be counted as work by the Working Tax Credit team.

Furthermore, any work done while in prison cannot be used to apply for Working Tax Credit.

Can I apply for Working Tax Credit with my partner?

In certain cases, you may be able to apply for Working Tax Credit as a couple.

Couples with at least once child could be eligible for Credit if their combined working hours are no more than 24 hours per week and one of the individuals in the couple is disabled, incapacitated, over the age of 60, in hospital or in prison.

If you are the disabled/60+ individual in the relationship, you will need to work at least 16 hours per week to be eligible for Working Tax Credit as a couple. However, the combined working hours of you and your partner still cannot be more than 24 hours per week.

If you are the individual in the relationship who is incapacitated, in hospital or in prison, your partner will need to be working at least 16 hours per week.

If you have a unique circumstance you may wish to speak with a representative at the Working Tax Credit telephone number above.

I’m unemployed – can I still get Tax Credit?

Possibly. During short periods of unemployment, individuals may still be eligible to receive Tax Credit.

For example, individuals on Maternity Leave, Paternity Leave or Adoption Leave may still be eligible for Tax Credit while they take their leave.

You could also be eligible for Tax Credit during short periods of Sick Leave, suspension from work, going on strike or if you are laid off.

Furthermore, if you have a short gap between two jobs, you may be eligible for Tax Credit while you are off work.

Please note: Depending on your unemployment situation, there may be a limit on the amount of time you can claim Tax Credit for. Furthermore, you should inform the team if and when your situation changes, for example, if you go back to work.

I want to apply for Working Tax Credit – what next?

First, go to the government website and fill in the ‘Get A Tax Credit Form’ online questionnaire, or call the Working Tax Credits helpline and ask for a Tax Credit Form.

You will need to answer a number of questions about your current employment and you may need to share details about any other benefits you receive.

Make sure to have information to hand such as your number of working hours and total income, as well as your National Insurance Number.

In certain cases, you may be asked to share information about childcare payments too.

If you are found to be eligible for Working Tax Credit after answering all the questions, you will be sent the relevant application form to apply.

Once you receive the Working Tax Credit application form, fill in the details according to the instructions and post the completed form to the address stated.

Can I get help with my Working Tax Credit application?

Yes. If you need a hand with the application process, you may be able to get help by contacting your local benefits office, Citizens Advice team or the Tax Credit Helpline.

My circumstances have changed – should I tell the Tax Credit team?

Yes. It’s important to inform the Tax Credit team of any changes to your employment or circumstances that could affect your eligibility to receive Credit.

You can inform the Tax Credit team of most changes online, over the phone or by post.

Keep in mind, you could be subject to a fine if you fail to inform the government of changes or if you supply false information, whether on purpose or by accident.

Keeping your details up to date

The only way to ensure you continue to receive the credits you are entitled to is to keep your details up to date with the Working Tax Credit helpline. If your circumstances change, then you could be eligible for more assistance than you are currently receiving.

It is also important that you inform the Tax Credit office if your income increases, and if you are found to have been overpaid, then you could be asked to repay any credit that you have claimed.

The best way to make sure you’re getting only what you’re entitled to is to call the Working Tax Credit number on the helpline number above. You can also request a change of circumstances form by calling the team.

Changes to Working Tax credits

Working Tax credits are slowly being phased out by HMRC, to be replaced by the Universal Credit. If you’re receiving the credits now, you may not need to worry. However you may find you are moved to Universal Credit if you live in one of the affected areas.

If you move in with a spouse or partner who receives Universal Credit, you may be moved to this scheme early.

To find out more information about the Universal Credit changes, just give the Working Tax credits contact number a call on the number above.

Disputes over Tax Credits

To make a complaint to the Tax Credit office, you must call them on the helpline number.

Common reasons to raise an issue with the office are over the request to pay back any overpayments, or if you think the amount of Tax Credits you have received has been incorrectly calculated.

Less than 10% of tax credit disputes are successful – so make sure you have all of the accurate information to hand before you call the contact number.

If you have been overpaid any Tax credits, it is extremely important that you pay back any monies owed when requested. If you refuse to pay back any level of financial assistance, HMRC will be able to automatically take the money from your wages or other earnings.

Overpayments are common amongst claimants who don’t update their Tax Credit details or keep the Tax Credit office up to date on their change of circumstances. So make sure you contact Working Tax Credits number today!

If you’re concerned about contact you’ve had from Concentrix or disagree with a decision made following a Concentrix check, you can contact:

Concentrix on behalf of HM Revenue and Customs

PO Box 4949
BN11 9YS